:HOME:
 

:: About ::

Name:
Location: Princeton area, New Jersey, United States

Just a college graduate stuck waitressing with a love of journaling.

:: Obsessions ::

:Law School Apps
:Online Poker
:Bartending
:Law School Discussion

:: Recent Posts ::

:the rasberry coulis incident
:quote of the day
:feeling (and looking) hot hot hot
:doggie rivalry
:Quote of the Day
:Bad Religious Right! Bad!
:Novel Update
:Planned Parenthood
:$1.50 Satisfaction
:spring has sprung

::Archives ::

:November 2003
:December 2003
:January 2004
:February 2004
:March 2004
:April 2004
:May 2004
:June 2004
:July 2004
:August 2004
:September 2004
:October 2004
:November 2004
:December 2004
:January 2005
:February 2005
:March 2005
:April 2005
:May 2005
:June 2005
:July 2005
:April 2006

:: Links ::

: Pet My Chinchilla Now
: Serious Law Student
: The Raving Atheist
: Easily Amused
: thebrotherlove
: Law School Discussion
: lawschoolnumbers.com

:: Designed By ::

:FsDesigns

:Pictures By Layoutstyle

 
29.3.04

teamwork

Today was one of the first times that I've really felt the power of teamwork where I work. We had a very busy lunch today, especially for a Monday. The expo kitchen cook was out sick today, so Ivan, one of our hot line cooks, had to go and work on expo. Then the kitchen got slammed. There were so many tickets hanging I thought our chef was going to have a heart attack. They couldn't keep up. So they pulled Ivan from the expo kitchen and put him on the hot line, while my GM put on an apron and went to work expo. This essentially left the restaurant in the hands of ten servers, one bartender, and a 19-year old hostess. We kicked ass. I froze the door (i.e. told the hostess to stop seating tables and go on a wait), and then we all just pitched in in the kitchen, expediting food, garnishing food, running food, whatever it took to keep the kitchen from crashing (which is a) not a good thing, and b) a real pain in everyone's ass). I don't think we had one unhappy guest, regardless of the fact that the kitchen had so many tickets that they weren't even beginning to cook some of them until 20 minutes after they had received them. An hour later there was one ticket hanging in the kitchen, and as a team, we had kept the restaurant running. It was a really good feeling to know that we could be without any managers and still make it work. I mean really, we did a bang up job, and I made about $45 bucks (good for a lunch anyway, let alone a Monday lunch in which I only actually waited on 4 tables total) and I think everyone else did just as well. Maybe I sound sappy, but I was really proud of us, and I was definitely really proud of and impressed with our chef for not curling up into the fetal position on the floor and bawling like a little girl (which is what I would have done).

Right now its back to work for me, perhaps to be sent home in an hour and a half for hitting 40 hours. I don't really mind either way, its not like I'll actually see a paycheck even when they're paying me overtime.

posted by Lauren@ 4:45 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment


 

 
Designed By FsDesigns